September is National Skincare Awareness Month
Of all the assets that contribute to beauty, our skin is probably the most important feature we have. Our skin contributes to our looks more than any other element that graces our body, but beyond that, it is enormously important for our health.
Healthy skin is more beautiful than unhealthy skin. Most dermatologists, aestheticians, and other experts share opinions on the best ways to accomplish that and there is no lack of information that can be found on the topic. There are those things that you should do to have the most beautiful skin possible and those things that you should avoid. Things you should do include:
- Use TLC when removing eye makeup
- Drink a lot of water, even more than the 8 glasses recommended (adding a slice of lemon will give you antioxidants and vitamin C that help make skin glow)
- Use antioxidant serums
- Use face cream and sunscreen combination to keep your face hydrated
- Work out
- Sleep on clean pillow cases
- Eat healthy, consistently and include a lot of fruits and vegetables
- Exfoliate regularly
- Clean your cell phone regularly
- Wear sunglasses outside
- Get plenty of sleep each night.
- Visit a skin specialist. Whether you have never done so before or have regular visits with your dermatologist.
- Keep wearing sunscreen and protect your skin from those UV rays.
What you should avoid if you want to have good skin, is consuming a lot of alcohol, too much caffeine, sugar, or smoke. These take a toll on your skin, drying it out and instigating wrinkles and sagging. So, too, does sunbathing. Photo-aging, caused by UV rays is the largest contributor to early aging.
While the health of your skin is top priority, there is no reason not to have fun with it. Your skin deserves to be pampered, and will come out looking its best. If you have questions or any concerns about the health of your skin, you can contact Western Maryland Dermatology at (301) 777-7900 or visit us online at wmderma.com/contact.