Healthy Aging Month
September is Healthy Aging Month, an annual health observance designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older. Carolyn Worthington, the founder, saw a need to draw attention to the myths of aging, to shout out ‘Hey, it’s not too late to take control of your health, it’s never too late to get started on something new.’ Why not think about the positive aspects of aging instead of the stereotypes and the negative aspects?
September is a perfect time to celebrate Healthy Aging Month since it is time when many people think about getting started on new tasks after the summer. Drawing on the “back to school” urge embedded in everyone from childhood, the observance month is designed to encourage people to rejuvenate and get going on positive measures that can impact the areas of physical, social, financial and mental wellness. Follow these tips to stay at your peak!
1. Schedule Your Yearly Skin Exam – This is a great way to check for spots that could potentially cause problems later on. With most skin cancers, treatment is more effective when caught early.
2. Start an Exercise Routine – Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy body and brain.
3. Take a Class or Volunteer – Stay social, take a class, volunteer, play games, see old friends, and make new ones.
4. Add Fiber to your Diet for Digestive and Heart Health – Eat beans and other high-fiber foods for digestive and heart health.
5. Try Cooking with New Herbs and Spices – Add herbs and spices to your meals if medications dull your taste buds.
6. Improve Your Balance and Agility through Yoga or Tai Chi – Practice yoga or tai chi to improve agility and prevent falls. All types help maintain physical and emotional health.
7. Start Daily Walks to boost your Heart and Lungs – Brisk daily walks can bolster both your heart and lungs. Take a daily brisk walk with a friend — you’ll get an aerobic workout, and the conversation will exercise your brain and reduce stress.
8. Actively Exercise Your Memory through Games and Puzzles – To aid your memory, make lists, follow routines, slow down, and organize.
9. Sleep Well – Talk to a sleep specialist if you don’t sleep soundly through the night.
It’s never too late to take a proactive, positive approach to aging. This September, make it a priority to plan your approach and take the necessary steps toward creating and maintaining a healthy, vibrant lifestyle. You can contact Western Maryland Dermatology at (301) 777-7900 or visit us online at wmderma.com/contact.